Monday, December 18, 2006

4: Romeo & Juliet, Unit III, Anger

Unit III, Topic: Anger.

Unit III, Part A: the DBT handout.

In this unit, participants read a scene in which a fight breaks out, killing two of the characters. In analyzing this scene, participants will use the “principle of opposite action” as it applies in particular to anger. The book helps a lot here, listing behaviors one can use to keep from being in the grip of anger (pp. 130-131) :
Behaviors that are opposite to the anger you’re feeling:

Tell someone how you care about them
Tell someone “I love you”
Stare at a tree…
Gently avoid the person you are angry with
Be extra careful to gently pick up and set down items
Slowly and mindfully drink a cold glass of water…
Think about how life might be hard for the person you’re angry with
Pay a compliment to the person you’re angry with
Say out loud to yourself, “I can handle this situation.”
Think about things that are inconsistent with anger, such as happy times, beautiful places, successes.
Other_______________________

After reading the scene, participants will identify which of these behaviors the characters actually engage in.

However the characters themselves are only half-conscious of what they are doing. To be fully mindful of their anger, they would have to do the things listed on pp. 62-63, on “Mindfulness to Anger,” some of which I give below:
Mindfulness to Anger:
Observe, simply noticing the emotion of anger as it comes…

Describe, putting words on your anger…

Participate fully in what is happening, and experience your anger fully… Live presently with your anger while it lasts.

Take a nonjudgmental stance. See only the facts and focus on what is present, an not on what you think should, must or ought to be going on…

One-mindfully give your full attention simply to the emotion of anger. Feeling anger, just experience anger, note all the anger-related sensations and thoughts as they come.

Effectively focus on what works in the situation. Do only what the situation calls for. Don’t get hung up on right versus wrong, or fair versus unfair or should versus should not. Just do the best you can, keeping your goals in mind. Remember your goals and stay grounded. Don’t invalidate your anger as silly or immature, nor as license to really let so-and-so have it. Let go of useless anger and self-righteousness, which will only hurt you.

Rationale: Anger is a troublesome emotion that can lead to everything from unmeant words to crimes of passion. Anger is important, and can motivate you to overcome obstacles, but anger unchecked can lead to impulsive behaviors. In your practice of being mindful of anger you can simply notice its presence, validate it without necessarily acting on it, or be intentional about your anger based actions.
Unit III, Part B: The play, Act 3, Scene 1.

Characters: MERCUTIO, BENVOLIO, TYBALT, ROMEO, PRINCE.
Scene: A street, the afternoon after the Capulets’ ball. Romeo and Juliet were secretly married an hour before.

Enter BENVOLIO and MERCUTIO


BENVOLIO I pray thee, good Mercutio, let's retire:
The day is hot, the Capulets abroad,
And, if we meet, we shall not ‘scape a brawl;
For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.

MERCUTIO Thou art like one of those fellows
that when he enters the confines of a tavern
claps his sword upon the table and says
'God send me no need of thee!'
and by the time of his second cup,
draws when indeed there is no need.

BENVOLIO Am I like such a fellow?

MERCUTIO Come, come, thou art as hot a Jack in thy mood
as any in Italy, and as soon moved to be moody,
and as soon moody to be moved.

BENVOLIO And what to?

MERCUTIO Nay, if there were two such, we should have none shortly,
for one would kill the other. Thou! Why, thou wilt quarrel with a man
that hath a hair more, or a hair less, in his beard, than thou hast.
Thou wilt quarrel with a man for cracking nuts,
having no other reason but that thou hast hazel eyes:
Thy head is as full of quarrels as an egg is full of meat.
Yet thy head hath been beaten as much as an egg for quarrelling.
Thou has quarrelled with a man for coughing in the street,
because he hath wakened thy dog that hath lain asleep in the sun.
Didst thou not fall out with a tailor for wearing his new doublet
before Easter; with another for tying his new shoes with old riband?
And yet thou wilt tutor me from quarrelling!

Enter TYBALT and OTHERS.

BENVOLIO By my head, here come the Capulets.

MERCUTIO By my heel, I care not.

TYBALT Follow me close, for I will speak to them.
Gentlemen, good day: a word with one of you.

MERCUTIO And but one word with one of us?
Couple it with something; make it a word and a blow.

TYBALT You shall find me apt enough to that, sir,
if you will give me occasion.

MERCUTIO Could you not take some occasion without giving?

TYBALT Mercutio, thou consort'st with Romeo--

MERCUTIO Consort! What, dost thou make us minstrels?
If thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but discords:
here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!

BENVOLIO We talk here in the public haunt of men:
Either withdraw unto some private place,
And reason coldly of your grievances,
Or else depart; here all eyes gaze on us.

MERCUTIO Men's eyes were made to look, and let them gaze;
I will not budge for no man's pleasure, I.

Enter ROMEO

TYBALT Well, peace be with you, sir: here comes my man.
Romeo, the hate I bear thee can afford
No better term than this--thou art a villain.

ROMEO Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee
Doth much excuse the rage pertaining
To such a greeting: villain am I none;
Therefore farewell; I see thou know'st me not.

TYBALT Boy, this shall not excuse the injuries
That thou hast done me; therefore turn and draw.

ROMEO I do protest, I never injured thee,
But love thee better than thou canst devise,
Till thou shalt know the reason of my love:
And so, good Capulet,--which name I tender
As dearly as my own,--be satisfied.

MERCUTIO O calm, dishonourable, vile submission!
Tybalt, you rat-catcher, will you walk? Draws

TYBALT What wouldst thou have with me?

MERCUTIO Good king of cats, nothing but one of your nine lives.
Will you pluck your sword out of his scabbard by the ears?
Make haste, lest mine be about your ears ere it be out.

TYBALT I am for you. Draws

ROMEO Gentle Mercutio, put thy rapier up.

MERCUTIO Come, sir, your passado. They fight

ROMEO Draw, Benvolio; beat down their weapons.
Gentlemen, for shame, forbear this outrage!
Tybalt, Mercutio, the prince expressly hath
Forbidden bandying in Verona streets:
Hold, Tybalt! Good Mercutio!

TYBALT under ROMEO's arm stabs MERCUTIO, and flies with his followers

MERCUTIO I am hurt.
A plague o' both your houses! I am sped.
Is he gone, and hath nothing?

BENVOLIO What, art thou hurt?

MERCUTIO Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch; marry, 'tis enough.
Where is my page? Go fetch a surgeon. Exit Page

ROMEO Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much.

MERCUTIO No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-door;
but 'tis enough, 'twill serve: ask for me tomorrow,
and you shall find me a grave man. I am peppered, I warrant, for this world.
A plague on both your houses! 'Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a cat,
to scratch a man to death! A braggart, a rogue, a villain!
Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm.

ROMEO I thought all for the best.

MERCUTIO Help me into some house, Benvolio,
Or I shall faint. A plague o' both your houses!
They have made worms' meat of me: I have it,
And soundly too: Your houses!

Exit MERCUTIO and BENVOLIO

ROMEO This gentleman, the prince's near ally,
My very friend, hath got his mortal hurt
In my behalf; my reputation stain'd
With Tybalt's slander--Tybalt, that an hour
Hath been my kinsman! O sweet Juliet,
Thy beauty hath made me effeminate
And in my temper soften'd valour's steel!

Enter BENVOLIO


BENVOLIO O Romeo, Romeo, brave Mercutio's dead!
That gallant spirit hath aspired the clouds,
Which too untimely here did scorn the earth.

ROMEO This day's black fate on more days doth depend;
This but begins the woe, others must end.

Enter TYBALT.

BENVOLIO Here comes the furious Tybalt back again.

ROMEO Alive, in triumph! and Mercutio slain!
Away to heaven, respectful leniency,
And fire-eyed fury be my conduct now!
Now, Tybalt, take the “villain” back again,
That late thou gavest me; for Mercutio's soul
Is but a little way above our heads,
Staying for thine to keep him company:
Enter thou, or I, or both, must go with him.

TYBALT Thou, wretched boy, that didst consort him here,
Shalt with him hence.

ROMEO. This shall determine that.

They fight; TYBALT falls


BENVOLIO Romeo, away, be gone!
The citizens are up, and Tybalt slain.
Stand not amazed: the prince will doom thee death,
If thou art taken: hence, be gone, away!

ROMEO O, I am fortune's fool!

BENVOLIO Why dost thou stay?

Exit ROMEO. Enter PRINCE, with attendants.

PRINCE Where are the vile beginners of this fray?

BENVOLIO O noble prince, I can discover all
There lies Tybalt, slain by young Romeo,
That slew thy kinsman, brave Mercutio.

PRINCE Romeo slew him, he slew Mercutio;
Who now the price of his dear blood doth owe?

BENVOLIO Not Romeo, prince, he was Mercutio's friend;
His fault concludes but what the law should end,
The life of Tybalt.

PRINCE And for that offence
Immediately we do exile him hence:
I have an interest in your hate's proceeding,
My nephew in your rude brawls doth lie a-bleeding;
But I'll thank you with so strong a fine
That you shall all repent the loss of mine:
I will be deaf to pleading and excuses:
Therefore use none: let Romeo hence in haste,
Else, when he's found, that hour is his last.
Bear hence this body and attend our will:
Mercy but murders, pardoning those that kill. Exit all.

Unit III, Part C: Discussion Questions.


1. How does Benvolio use the principle of opposite action to respond to the Capulets’ anger?

2. In response, what does Mercutio say about anger? Is he following the principle of “opposite action.”? If so, how?

3. What Is Romeo’s response to Tybalt’s anger? Is he following the DBT principle of “opposite action”? If so, how?

4. What is Mercutio’s response to Tybalt’s anger? Why does he challenge Tybalt? Is he following the DBT principle of “opposite action”? Is he following his own advice earlier? What does this say about maintaining one’s self-respect?

5. What is Romeo’s response to Mercutio’s anger? Dos it follow the principle of “opposite action”? Why does what he does lead to bad consequences? What DBT principle didn’t he follow?

6. Does Romeo follow the principle of opposite action when he goes after Tybalt himself? Does he regret his action?

Participants enjoyed doing the scene and discussing it. I assigned the part of Tybalt to one man who was always provoking fights in the facility. He thoroughly enjoyed the role and then was taken aback when the character suddenly dropped out of the play. He did laugh about it later, to me, and to other staff when I wasn’t around. I think Tybalt’s dying tapped into his own fear that one day his mischief would get him sent back to the hospital for good. His behavior in the milieu improved for a while, but then slid back to where it was. Then about the only thing that did affect his behavior for the better was actually getting sent to the hospital with the possibility of not coming back. If I had time, this scene would be a good one for clients to play Mercutio and even Tybalt being more effective using DBT principles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home